Microsoft 365 is a powerful suite of cloud-based productivity and collaboration tools that can help businesses achieve more. However, Microsoft 365 does not provide a comprehensive backup solution for the data. Microsoft 365 only offers basic retention policies and recycle bins, which are not enough to protect the data from accidental deletion, malicious attacks, or compliance issues. That’s why Microsoft 365 Backup is needed. This is a new service that will be available in public preview in Q4 of 2023, but there is no timeframe for when it will be generally available.
Microsoft 365 Backup is a service that will allow businesses to backup and restore OneDrive, SharePoint, and Exchange Online data at unprecedented speeds and with a restore service level agreement (SLA). Microsoft 365 Backup will keep data within the Microsoft 365 security boundary, so organizations do not have to worry about data leakage or compliance risks. This blog post will explore how Microsoft 365 Backup can benefit businesses in three ways:
1. Protect Data From Ransomware and Security Breaches
Once released, Microsoft 365 Backup will be able to help organizations protect their data from ransomware and security breaches by providing a reliable and fast recovery solution. With Microsoft 365 Backup, organizations will be able to:
- Back up all or selected SharePoint sites, OneDrive accounts, and Exchange mailboxes in the tenant
- Restore files, sites, and mailbox items in the tenant in parallel to a previous point-in-time in a granular or massive scale
- Search or filter content for backups using key metadata such as item or site names, owners, or event types within specific restore point date ranges
2. Meet Regulatory Requirements and Compliance Standards
Many industries and regions have specific regulatory requirements and compliance standards for data retention and protection. For example, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union requires organizations to respect the rights of data subjects, such as the right to access, rectify, erase, or port their personal data. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in the United States requires healthcare providers to protect the privacy and security of patients’ health information.
Microsoft 365 Backup will be able to help organizations meet regulatory requirements and compliance standards by providing a secure and compliant backup solution for data. With Microsoft 365 Backup, organizations will be able to:
- Keep data within the Microsoft 365 security boundary, which is compliant with various standards such as ISO 27001, SOC 2, FedRAMP, HIPAA, GDPR, and more
- Apply retention policies to backups based on business needs and legal obligations
- Use encryption at rest and in transit to protect backups from unauthorized access or modification
- Audit backup activities and events using logs and reports
3. Reduce Costs and Complexity of Backup Management
Managing backups for Microsoft 365 data will be able to be costly and complex if organizations use third-party solutions or manual processes. Businesses may have to deal with issues such as:
- Data fragmentation across multiple backup locations
- Data duplication across multiple backup copies
- Data inconsistency across different backup versions
- Data migration across different backup formats
- Data governance across different backup providers
Microsoft 365 Backup will help businesses reduce the costs and complexity of backup management by providing a unified and integrated backup solution for data. With Microsoft 365 Backup, organizations will be able to:
- Access Microsoft 365 Backup directly in the Microsoft 365 admin center
- Use the same credentials and permissions as the Microsoft 365 account
- Use the same interface and experience as the Microsoft 365 services
- Use the same APIs and SDKs as the Microsoft 365 development tools
Microsoft 365 Backup is a service that will provide a comprehensive backup solution for OneDrive, SharePoint, and Exchange Online data. Microsoft 365 Backup will be available in public preview in Q4 of 2023. Microsoft 365 Backup will help businesses protect their data from ransomware and security breaches, meet regulatory requirements and compliance standards, and reduce costs and complexity of backup management.
Businesses interested in learning more about Microsoft 365 Backup can contact Virtuas to learn more.